Skip to main content

Notifications

Topic Creation & Management
Answered

Using similar structure to Fallback, can chatbot topic be set for detecting numbers

Posted on by

I'm wanting to have a topic that functions similar to the built in "Fallback" topic. I want the chatbot to detect anytime a user enters any set of numbers and store that in a variable "num" to pass into a flow. It's an inventory function. I created a fallback topic when I originally published my bot and by far the most popular topic has been inventory lookup but in my "unrecognized phrases" spreadsheet I can see that many users are attempting to just enter the item number from the start instead of triggering the inventory lookup topic and then entering the number when prompted. User education has been attempted many times to correct this but it is still happening a lot. I know if I can just create a topic in the chatbot that looks for numbers being entered and passes those numbers to the inventory lookup flow this will solve 70% or more of the failed chatbot interactions. So, in closing, is this even possible and if so, where do I access the parameters to achieve it?

• peterswimm Profile Picture
    peterswimm on at
    Re: Using similar structure to Fallback, can chatbot topic be set for detecting numbers

Ie Im looking up part number 284934

I'm trying to locate part 34343 etc

peterswimm on at
    Re: Using similar structure to Fallback, can chatbot topic be set for detecting numbers

You will probably need more of an utterance to trigger the slot filling. Perhaps try a welcome dialog that asks the question as well? Utterances are intended to be more conversational than your example, and you do not need to provide the entity name, just examples of that entity in well-sourced utterances.

• kgreen8790 Profile Picture
    kgreen8790 189 on at

Here's what I've got:

debug1.PNGdebug2.PNGdebug3.PNG

peterswimm on at

Do you have a question node that can fill the slot as the first step in the topic? If it exists in the question, it should skip the question node prompt, even though you need to do it in the dialog authoring.

• Verified answer
    kgreen8790 Profile Picture
    kgreen8790 189 on at

I created the entity and it works perfectly inside the topic but not as the topic trigger. I typed the name of the entity in the trigger phrase and REGEX_ENTITY_PART_NUM as a trigger phrase. I'm still having to go to the topic via the traditional question and then it uses the entity as the question answer. Am I missing something to unlock it as a topic trigger also?

• kgreen8790 Profile Picture
    kgreen8790 189 on at

Thanks for the direction. This really helped

• Verified answer
    peterswimm Profile Picture
    peterswimm on at

You should handle this using entities and slot filling:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-virtual-agents/advanced-entities-slot-filling#prebuilt-entities

You can use one of prebuilts for numbers, or if the inventory number is a mixer of numbers lets and symbols you would use a regex entity to look for the number and fill the slot in the relevant topic.

For instance

Do you have item ab-2422 in stock at store #31

would be 

Do you have item REGEX_ENTITY_STOCKNUMBER in stock at STORE_LOCATION_NUMBER

And with those variables set you can then run your flow.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Exciting News for Copilot Studio Communi…

Get ready to experience a whole new level of engagement with the Copilot Studio…

Celebrating the May Super User of the…

LaurensM is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community…

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 137,998

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,059

Leaderboard

Featured topics