Skip to main content

Notifications

Copilot Studio - General
Unanswered

Hide multiple choice options from user of chatbot

Posted on by

I'm currently building a chatbot to direct colleagues to qualified personnel to assist them with different types of technical questions. I want the user to feel like they can simply type in the equipment that they need technical assistance on rather than selecting from a pre-defined options menu. I believe this will provide a more seamless experience from the users end and will help facilitate a more widespread adoption of my chatbot.

When my chatbot issues the question "what equipment do you need assistance with?" I want to have a wide ranging pre-defined set of answers that would point to the same variable. Since there is no synonyms option for "users entire response" I'm using the "multiple choice options". This accomplishes what I was setting out to do and works flawlessly. However, when testing the bot I noticed that it lists the "multiple choice options" in the chat with the user. My fear is that the user is going to think they have to pick from one of the pre-defined answers on their screen rather than just type in what they need.

This is an issue because in our industry the names for different equipment varies wildly in the field and what I have the variable set at may not be familiar to the user. If the user simply types in what they call the equipment and I have that set to a synonym then it executes perfectly with no need for the multiple choice options appearing on the screen and potentially causing confusion to the user.

So, in closing my question is: Is there a way to hide "multiple choice options" from the user in the chatbot chat or assign synonyms to "users entire response"? Or is there another way to accomplish my goal that I'm not aware of?

• SupportBryn Profile Picture
    SupportBryn on at
    Re: Hide multiple choice options from user of chatbot

@Kog8790,

If that's something you think would be useful, you are welcome to create an Idea for it! Ideas are community-provided suggestions to the Power Virtual Agents team, and are a great way for users to show the sorts of features they'd want to use in the future! Here's the link to the Power Virtual Agents Idea forum: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Virtual-Agents-Ideas/idb-p/pva_ideas 

Thank you for using Microsoft Power Platform Communities!
    Bryn Baker
    Support Engineer
    Microsoft Power Platform
    If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly! Have a great day!

• Re: Hide multiple choice options from user of chatbot

Perhaps hiding the multiple choice answers from the user could be an option in a future update/release?

• SupportBryn Profile Picture
    SupportBryn on at
    Re: Hide multiple choice options from user of chatbot

Hey there @Kog8790, I don't think there is a way to have a multiple options choice list that does not show the multiple options. I think the best solution here would simply be to include a line along with the multiple choice options stating something along the lines of "If you do not see an option in this list that would suit your needs, please feel free to type a response, and the bot will do it's best to find an option that fits your needs."

Thank you for using Microsoft Power Platform Communities!
    Bryn Baker
    Support Engineer
    Microsoft Power Platform
    If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly! Have a great day!

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Welcome to the Power Platform…

We are thrilled to unveil the newly-launched Power Platform Communities!…

Getting Started…

Welcome to the Power Platform Community! We appreciate your visit…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 138,287

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,172

Leaderboard