Skip to main content

Notifications

Copilot Studio - General
Answered

Authentication Input Not Enabled

Posted on by 17

I've seen this error twice now, and had not encountered it while creating previous bots. When I Google the exact error message (spaces or not), I receive no results (Shouldn't there be some MSFT documentation out there?)

jdivis_0-1700737705629.png

The Error, as I see it on the screen, looks like:

jdivis_1-1700737755889.png

AuthenticationInputNotEnabled

"Authentication Input Not Enabled" has not turned up any results in this forum either (perhaps until after this post is published). 

In the main Settings->Security page, I go into the Authentication screen:

jdivis_2-1700737913424.png

I have Only for Teams and Power Apps enabled.

jdivis_3-1700738004281.png

Under Generative AI, I have two Sharepoint Sites listed:

jdivis_4-1700738268671.png

What am I not seeing? 

• jomatthews Profile Picture
    jomatthews 8 on at
    Re: Authentication Input Not Enabled

I see the same thing, and even in copilot studio the bot doesn't seem to have the access it should have to the documents in sharepoint.

The "Only for Teams and PowerApps" Authentication option sure seems like it should mean the bot works in teams and inherits the users authentication context, is this not the case? Do I need to be using Manual Authentication to have any hope of seeing the bot answer questions about access restricted sharepoint content?

If I have to use manual authentication, it's not a great experience for the user at that point if they have to auth through prompts. Can I do SSO so the authentication is transparent to the user?

• PixelPirate Profile Picture
    PixelPirate 4 on at

I am afraid, even in the copilot studio i get the same error. I haven't even published it on any channel

• jxu Profile Picture
    jxu 37 on at

I understand that Sharepoint and OneDrive for business can have sensitive data, but why can't we use the user's session from within Teams and pass that to the app without requiring Manual authentication? Maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part though. I'm interpreting it as you must use Microsoft Entra ID for Sharepoint and OneDrive.

I agree with this completely.

Also in the Generative AI tab, I cannot link any Sharepoint file with an extension. I am able to upload documents to use.

• jamesbio Profile Picture
    jamesbio 29 on at

Hi @HenryJammes,

Is AD in scope for using user's authentication in Teams? The manual flow isn't very user friendly and additional setup, while not complicated for most developers, does still require some understanding and can't be used by most business users.

jamesbio_0-1702933677448.png

jamesbio_1-1702934096609.pngjamesbio_2-1702934110761.png

I understand that Sharepoint and OneDrive for business can have sensitive data, but why can't we use the user's session from within Teams and pass that to the app without requiring Manual authentication? Maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part though. I'm interpreting it as you must use Microsoft Entra ID for Sharepoint and OneDrive.

Can we actually use AD with manual?
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-copilot-studio/configuration-authentication-azure-ad

Also, is there a way to set up a bot with access to SharePoint or OneDrive data that can be used by other users or even embedded in a website? Maybe with specific scopes or some other resource manager that we can provide IDs to specific files within SharePoint or OneDrive?

One of the issues is that business users go in and setup in a test environment and then wonder why it's not working when published. The additional setup by developers is possibly a deterrent which may be welcome, but is there a way to allow developers to use AD?

The option I currently use is setting up an API that has access to the necessary data, but we were hoping to use this without setting up APIs to streamline the process.

• HenryJammes Profile Picture
    HenryJammes on at

Submitted a PR to update the docs page to be more explicit about that error message, thanks @jdivis 

• Verified answer
    HenryJammes Profile Picture
    HenryJammes on at

Hi @jdivis 

This feature is G.A. 

When you use SharePoint as the data source in generative answers, you need to configure Manual authentication, as documented here: Use content on SharePoint or OneDrive for Business for generative answers - Microsoft Copilot Studio | Microsoft Learn.

Manual authentication is required because it's using the connected end-user's context to run the search (so that it only returns content they have access to). For that, you need to configure delegated API permissions to the Graph API.

However, to let you test, this works in the Copilot Studio test pane even with the "Only for Teams and Power Apps" setting, but this isn't sufficient to deploy to other channels.

This is why you're seeing the topic error message. It is however just a warning, it's not blocking: you can save the topic, publish, etc.

Henry

• jdivis Profile Picture
    jdivis 17 on at

Tried to restart, and just create a new bot (I had created the other one when we were still creating PVAs, but it was not classic), but get the same issue as noted here:
    https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Copilot-Studio-Chatbots/Error-when-talking-to-bot-Authentication-Not-Configured/td-p/2005011
    This new Copilot Studio is not instilling a lot of confidence. I get that it is "Preview", but what happy path was tested before throwing this out here? It would be nice to have a list of working features so we don't inadvertently participate in a vaporware sales pitch. 😫

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Welcome to the Power Platform…

We are thrilled to unveil the newly-launched Power Platform Communities!…

Getting Started…

Welcome to the Power Platform Community! We appreciate your visit…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 138,287

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,172

Leaderboard