Skip to main content

Notifications

Calling Actions from Copilot Studio
Answered

Cant re-add a flow to PVA after I have updated it

Posted on by 16

Hello all, not sure if this is a bug or 'm just doing silly.

I had a PVA working fine and then I added something more to a flow.  The PVA told me I needed to remove and read the flow to get the changes.  I removed and went to add the flow from the 'call an action option' option.  From here I can see my flow fine but when I click to add it back into my PVA it simply wont.  I can add other new flows just fine but not the one I updated.

I have tried different browsers, logging in and out.  If I recreate the same flow with a new name I can add the flow to my PVA but that's a real pain for ongoing development every time I need to change a flow.

Any clues on how to fix this.  Also is there a way to just update the flow in the PVA with an update button?

• calerof Profile Picture
    calerof 255 on at
    Re: Cant re-add a flow to PVA after I have updated it

Hi @MarKol ,

Thanks for the answer. I removed all spaces and special characters and finally I could use my Flow.

Regards,

Fernando

• Egbert Profile Picture
    Egbert 33 on at

Chrome and Edge both show the same stack trace when you try to select one of these unselectable actions:

Egbert_0-1603347885941.png

• Egbert Profile Picture
    Egbert 33 on at

turns out that the issue I experienced with variable names of length>10 only causes upset in one bot, and not another.

so, there's something else going on

• Egbert Profile Picture
    Egbert 33 on at

Through a process of trial and error I think I found an underlying problem.

Any variable name returned by the "Return value(s) to Power Virtual Agents" must be no more than 10 characters long. I think removing whitespace just shortened the names below 10 chars.

Anything 11 or more means that when you attempt to add the action to a PVA topic, it will just ignore the attempt to add.

This one works:

Egbert_0-1602646000721.png

While this won't:

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 2.30.03 pm.png

• Teresa-Motiv Profile Picture
    Teresa-Motiv on at

I ran into this today--I have several virtual agent topics that call actions that return text strings. Today I created a new flow, but couldn't add it to a topic; I'd select Call action, then select the flow name, and nothing would happen. I took the numbers out of the title of the flow output, and then I could select the flow name and the flow would be added to the topic.

So "alphanumeric characters" doesn't quite fit. Letters work, underscores work. Numbers don't work.

• niknaks456 Profile Picture
    niknaks456 16 on at

hmm, i think i have it sorted now via your help.

I removed numbers from the return values, so I had '365prinname' as the name of the return value and removed '365' which seems to have fixed it.  I also took out number in the name of the flow as well just in case.

• Dipo Profile Picture
    Dipo on at

Whew! Couldn't figure out why my flows weren't getting added all day! Finally!!!

• Verified answer
    MarKol Profile Picture
    MarKol on at

Hi,

can you please try remove any spaces or other non-alphanumeric characters (underscores are OK) from the flow's inputs/outputs and try adding this flow again? 

There is a bug currently being fixed that makes PVA reject the flows with non-alphanumeric characters as valid. This workaround should make PVA accept this flow.

PS: the "Refresh" button for flows is on the roadmap and should be coming soon.

• renatoromao Profile Picture
    renatoromao 6,762 on at

Hi @niknaks456 ,

It's not normal this issue.

Can you take some pictures inside your Power Automate workflow?

Just to understand better your scenario, but depending on your situation, you can open a ticket to Microsoft.

---

Thanks!

Renato Romão

https://www.linkedin.com/in/renatoromao/

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Welcome to the Power Platform…

We are thrilled to unveil the newly-launched Power Platform Communities!…

Getting Started…

Welcome to the Power Platform Community! We appreciate your visit…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 138,287

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,172

Leaderboard

Featured topics