Skip to main content

Notifications

Copilot Studio - General
Unanswered

Copilot not accessing SharePoint files for generative answers

Posted on by

Hi, 

I am currently trying to create a copilot which leverages an internal SharePoint site for generative answers.

I have added the site as a data source and the copilot can access news posts and other information on the SharePoint site with no issues, but when I ask a question where the answer is in a file that is uploaded to SharePoint the bot can not come up with an answer.

I have tried to add the path to the document into the uri in data sources.

I have also tried both including and excluding https in the url of the data sources

Neither of these worked.

There is document that it can access but I don't know why it can create answers for one random document.

And help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 🙂

Categories:
  • BV-18091627-0 Profile Picture
    BV-18091627-0 4 on at
    I am having issue using manual authentication in copilot accessing knowledge in sharepoint site documents,  Here is what I verified:

• Using Manual authentication
      • Verified the Secret ID and app ID in copilot matches appReg in azure
    • Verified the Sharepint site configured in Knowledge, also that files are <3m and not more than 2 levels deeps
    • Verified that Gen AI enabled in copilot
    • Verified the host Environment for the copilot has copilot enabled
    • Verified the following on App Reg
      • Authentication > Web> and verified the redirect url matches the bot URL
      • Secret: verified the secret is matching in copilot and not expired
      • API permissions:  verified all the scopes were in place including for Files and Sites
      • Exposed scopes as APIs
    These screen shots to the verifications listed above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• leemagoo Profile Picture
    leemagoo 33 on at
    This may not be the answer for you, but for me it was simply taking out https:// from the url's I was using for SharePoint or OneDrive and it all started seeing it correctly. Hope that's the fix for some of you at least. 
  • BV-18091627-0 Profile Picture
    BV-18091627-0 4 on at

• Using Manual authentication
      • Verified the Secret ID and app ID in copilot matches appReg in azure
    • Verified the Sharepint site configured in Knowledge, also that files are <3m and not more than 2 levels deeps (all tried using a URI with http://, https://, and without either)
    • Verified that Gen AI enabled in copilot
    • Verified the host Environment for the copilot has copilot enabled
    • Verified the following on App Reg
      • Authentication > Web> and verified the redirect url matches the bot URL
      • Secret: verified the secret is matching in copilot and not expired
      • API permissions:  verified all the scopes were in place including for Files and Sites
      • Exposed scopes as APIs
    These screen shots to the verifications listed above.

• Deepthi MK Profile Picture
    Deepthi MK on at
    Can you refer this link to see if this resolves?

Try changing the authentication to manual and this should work.
  • CU05071317-0 Profile Picture
    CU05071317-0 2 on at

Hi everyone,

Has this been resolved? We are looking to start a project with a similar solution and it would be great to understand any limitations.

Thank you!

• Tysh Profile Picture
    Tysh on at
    Re: Copilot not accessing SharePoint files for generative answers

I found a solution that kind of works. I set up authentication by creating an app registration in Azure. Try and follow these links and see if it fixes it.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-copilot-studio/configuration-authentication-azure-ad â€‹

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-copilot-studio/configure-sso-teams â€‹

When adding scopes add them as Sites.Read.All & Files.Read.All

• DusBoe Profile Picture
    DusBoe 2 on at

Are there any updates? I am struggling with the same problem. Only one PDF document is recognized by Copilot Studio. All documents are smaller than 3MB. Some are pptx files, but the other pdf files aren't recognized either. Are there any hints?

• Nick_Botha Profile Picture
    Nick_Botha 2 on at

What size is the file ? I understand that it cant be > 3MB in file size, else the Generative AI cant process the file.
    If its greater than 3MB, try PDF compression.

• Tysh Profile Picture
    Tysh on at

The file is a simple pdf document. I've only been able to get copilot to reference it by setting the generative answer accuracy to low which is not ideal.

• citron-truc Profile Picture
    citron-truc 395 on at

Good morning,
    I hope you are doing well. In order for generative answers on sharepoint to work, you need to allow copilot studio to access the documents on your behalf. Could you check your authentication configuration ? Here is some documentation : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-copilot-studio/nlu-generative-answers-sharepoint-onedrive
    Have a great day !

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

September 2024 Newsletter…

September 2024 Community Newsletter…

Community Update Sept 16…

Power Platform Community Update…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 141,122

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,414

Leaderboard