Skip to main content

Notifications

Power Automate - General Discussion
Suggested answer

multi selection from a column

Posted on by 8
Hi, I created few flows where it gets the data from Sharepoint lists and updates or insert into SQL DWH , but when a column is having multi selection, it is bringing the data but how do i handle that?
do i need to make it as new row or a new column? , if it is new row does end users need to update both the rows if they need to change anything, if it goes into new column how can i able to acheieve in power automate
Categories:
  • GMkk Profile Picture
    GMkk 8 on at
    Hi @FLMike,

At the moment end users fill the data in sharepoint lists and I bring that data from sharepoint list to SQL data warehouse , when there is single column selection , data is good in data warehouse, but when it comes to multiselection columns , the data is kind of stored as arrays as below 
    [{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":0,"Value":"N/A"}] which i need to extract N/A . suppose when they select multiple values i'm getting data as [{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":12,"Value":"AFI12"},{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":13,"Value":"AFI13"}] , where as i'm expecting only AFI12,AFI13 i mean only values.

second part is i need guidence how to data model this to show in powerbi reports, like when user slices the data with either  AFI12 or AFI13, they need to able to view this record in power BI 
    so d i need to somehow maintain this record twice one for AFI12 and AFI13? or is any other suggestions that works for this time ?

Thank you
  • FLMike Profile Picture
    FLMike 23,258 on at
    Hi

Please be more clear with what you are asking with examples.

You are asking about creating new rows etc, Create them where? Again, use a walk through example so we can help.

How you want to store the data is up to you, so I dont understand the question.

However, Multi-select is going to give you a large json string with all the details that make it what it is (multi-select), how you parse it and store it is Completely up to you.
  • Suggested answer
    Nived_Nambiar Profile Picture
    Nived_Nambiar 15,869 on at
    Hi,

if i am right- i think the requirement will be depends on how end user needs it- whether for every value in multiselect column, they need a row in DWH, if yes flow should be designed in that way 

Thanks & Regards,
    Nived N 
    LinkedIn: Nived N's LinkedIn
    YouTube: Nived N's YouTube Channel
    Blog: Nived Nambiar's Blogs
     Found my answer helpful? Please consider marking it as the solution!
     Your appreciation keeps me motivated. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Welcome to the Power Platform…

We are thrilled to unveil the newly-launched Power Platform Communities!…

Community Update Sept 16…

Power Platform Community Update…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 140,719

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,355

Leaderboard

Featured topics