Skip to main content

Notifications

Create Power Automate cloud flows
Suggested answer

How to extract non null values using xml in flow

Posted on by 6

Hi Everyone,

I am having difficulty filtering non-null values using XML. Here’s the situation: I am getting output from a "Filter array" action that is inside an "Apply to each" loop. Now, I need to filter out six columns and bring the non-null values into two different columns.

Here’s what I am expecting:

• "What type of work does each level primarily engage in? - Choice 1 - ASE": "Testing"
  • "What type of work does each level primarily engage in? - Choice 2 - ASE": "Data and analytics"
  • "What type of work does each level primarily engage in? - Choice 1 - SE": "Development"
  • "What type of work does each level primarily engage in? - Choice 2 - SE": "Research"
  • "What type of work does each level primarily engage in? - Choice 1 - SSE": "Research"
  • "What type of work does each level primarily engage in? - Choice 2 - SSE": "Program Management"

I cannot use another "Apply to each" loop inside the existing one. I need a solution using XML. In this situation, I will get only two values out of the six columns/rows:

{"column1": "Testing", "column2": "Data and analytics", "column3": "", "column4": "Testing", "column5": ""}

Choice1: Testing
Choice2: Data and analytics

To be precise, I need to ignore null/blank values from the six columns and extract values from the columns where values are present.

Categories:
  • Suggested answer
    abm abm Profile Picture
    abm abm 32,046 on at
    Hi

Create a parse json something like this as schema

{
      "type": "object",
      "properties": {
        "column1": { "type": "string" },
        "column2": { "type": "string" },
        "column3": { "type": "string" },
        "column4": { "type": "string" },
        "column5": { "type": "string" }
      }
    }

Next add a compose action step and use the concat expression to check whether its blank or not.

concat(
        if(equals(outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column1'], ''), '', concat('column1: ', outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column1'], '\n')),
        if(equals(outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column2'], ''), '', concat('column2: ', outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column2'], '\n')),
        if(equals(outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column3'], ''), '', concat('column3: ', outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column3'], '\n')),
        if(equals(outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column4'], ''), '', concat('column4: ', outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column4'], '\n')),
        if(equals(outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column5'], ''), '', concat('column5: ', outputs('Parsed_JSON')?['column5'], '\n'))
    )

Note: If its null then extend the type "string" like this.
    "column1": { "type": ["null", "string"] }

Do the same for all the columns

• Suggested answer
    FLMike Profile Picture
    FLMike 23,361 on at
    Hi

I do not understand what you mean you must use XML. You didn't share xlm, that is JSON, so I am confused.

Please clarify as well as share your flow so we can see what you are trying to do, the data going into the actions and coming out.

Helpful resources

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 140,745

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,355

Leaderboard

Featured topics