Skip to main content

Notifications

Excel Batch Create, Update, and Upsert

takolota1 Profile Picture Posted by takolota1 4,617

ExcelUpdateCreateUpsertThumbnail.png

Update & Create Excel Records 50-100x Faster

I was able to develop an Office Script to update rows and an Office Scripts to create rows from Power Automate array data. So instead of a flow creating a new action API call for each individual row update or creation, this flow can just send an array of new data and the Office Scripts will match up primary key values, update each row it finds, then create the rows it doesn't find.
And these Scripts do not require manually entering or changing any column names in the Script code.

• In testing for batches of 1000 updates or creates, it's doing ~2000 row updates or creates per minute, 50x faster than the standard Excel create row or update row actions at max 50 concurrency. And it accomplished all the creates or updates with less than 4 actions or only .4% of the standard 1000 action API calls.

• The Run Script code for processing data has 2 modes, the Mode 2 batch method that saves & updates a new instance of the table before posting batches of table ranges back to Excel & the Mode 1 row by row update calling on the Excel table.
The Mode 2 script batch processing method will activate for updates on tables less than 1 million cells. It does encounter more errors with larger tables because it is loading & working with the entire table in memory.
Shoutout to Sudhi Ramamurthy for this great batch processing addition to the template!
Code Write-Up: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/scripts/resources/samples/write-large-dataset
Video: https://youtu.be/BP9Kp0Ltj7U

The Mode 1 script row by row method will activate for Excel tables with more than 1 million cells. But it is still limited by batch file size so updates on larger tables will need to run with smaller cloud flow batch sizes of less than 1000 in a Do until loop. 
The Mode 1 row by row method is also used when the ForceMode1Processing field is set to Yes.

Be aware that some characters in column names, like \ / - _ . : ; ( ) & $ may cause errors when processing the data. Also backslashes \ in the data, which are usually used to escape characters in strings, may cause errors when processing the JSON.

Version 7 Note

Diverting from what is shown in the video, I was able to remove almost all the flow actions in the "Match new and existing data key values then batch update" scope after replicating their functions in the scripts themselves. The flow now goes directly from the "SelectGenerateData" action to the "Run script Update Excel rows" action and the script handles matching up the UpdatedData JSON keys/field names to the destination table headers.

Also version 7 changes the primary key set up in the SelectGenerateData and changes the logic for skipping cell value updates & blanking out cell values.

Now the primary key column name from the destination table must be present in the SelectGenerateData action with the dynamic content for the values you want to match up to update. No more 'PrimaryKey' line, the update script will automatically reference the primary key column in the SelectGenerateData data based on the PrimaryKeyColumnName input on the update script action in the flow.

Now leaving a blank "" in the SelectGenerateData action will make that cell value in the Excel table empty, while leaving a null in the SelectGenerateData action will skip updating / not alter the cell value that currently exists in the Excel table there.

Version 6 which looks closer to the version shown in the video can still be accessed here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Excel-Batch-Create-Update-and-Upsert/m-p/2597772/highlight/true#M2455 

Version 7 Set-Up Instructions

Go to the bottom of this post & download the BatchExcel_1_0_0_xx.zip file. Go to the Power Apps home page (https://make.powerapps.com/). Select Solutions on the left-side menu, select Import solution, Browse your files & select the BatchExcel_1_0_0_xx.zip file you just downloaded. Then select Next & follow the menu prompts to apply or create the required connections for the solution flows.

takolota_0-1709405577624.png

Once imported, find the Batch Excel solution in the list of solution & click it to open the solution. Then click on the Excel Batch Upserts V7 item to open the flow. Once inside the flow, delete the PlaceholderValue Delete after import action.

BatchExcel0.png

Open the Office Script Batch Update compose action to the BatchUpdateV7 script code. Select everything inside the compose input & control + C copy it to the clipboard.

BatchExcel1.png

Then find & open an Excel file in Excel Online. Go to the Automate tab, click on All Scripts & then click on New Script.

BatchExcel2.png

When the new script opens, select everything in the script & control + V paste the BatchUpdateV7 script from the clipboard into the menu. Then rename the script BatchUpdateV7 & save it. That should make the BatchUpdateV7 reference-able in the later Run script flow action.

BatchExcel3.pngBatchExcel4.png

Do the same process to import the BatchCreateV7 script.

BatchExcel5.pngBatchExcel6.png

Then go to the List rows Sample source data action. If you are going to use an Excel table as the source of updated data, then you can fill in the Location, Document Library, File, & Table information on this action. If you are going to use a different source of updated data like SharePoint, SQL, Dataverse, an API call, etc, then delete the List rows Sample source data placeholder action & insert your new get data action for your other source of updated data.

BatchExcel7.png

Following that, go to the Excel batch update & create scope. Open the PrimaryKeyColumnName action, remove the placeholder values in the action input & input the column name of the unique primary key for your destination Excel table. For example, I use ID for the sample data.

BatchExcel8.png

BatchExcel9.png

Then go to the SelectGenerateData action.

If you replaced the List rows Sample source data action with a new get data action, then you will need to replace the values dynamic content from that sample action with the new values dynamic content of your new get data action (the dynamic content that outputs a JSON array of the updated data).

In either case, you will need to input the table header names from the destination Excel table on the left & the dynamic content for the updated values from the updated source action on the right. You MUST include the column header for the destination primary key column & the the primary key values from the updated source data here for the Update script to match up what rows in the destination table need which updates from the source data. All the other columns are optional / you only need to include them if you want to update their values.

BatchExcel10.png

After you have added all the columns & updated data you want to the SelectGenerateData action, then you can move to the Run script Update Excel rows action. Here add the Location, Document Library, File Name, Script, Table Name, Primary Key Column Name, ForceMode1Processing, & UpdatedData. You will likely need to select the right-side button to switch the UpdatedData input to a single array input before inserting the dynamic content for the SelectGenerateData action.

BatchExcelFix1.pngBatchExcelFix2.png

Then open the Condition If new records continue else skip action & open the Run script Create Excel rows action. In this run script action input the Location, Document Library, Script, Table Name, & CreateData. You again will likely need to select the right-side button to change the CreateData input to a single array input before inserting the dynamic content for the Filter array Get records not found in table output.

BatchExcel13.pngBatchExcel14.png

If you need just a batch update, then you can remove the Filter array Get records not found in table & Run script Create Excel rows actions.
If you need just a batch create, then you can replace the Run script Batch update rows action with the Run script Batch create rows action, delete the update script action, and remove the remaining Filter array Get records not found in table action. Then any updated source data sent to the SelectGenerateData action will just be created, it won't check for rows to update.

Thanks for any feedback,

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@tylerkolota?si=uEGKko1U8D29CJ86).

And reach out on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/kolota/) if you want to hire me to consult or build more custom Microsoft solutions for you.

Office Script Code
(Also included in a Compose action at the top of the template flow)

Batch Update Script Code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kfzd2NX9nr9K8hBcxy60ipryAN4koStw/view?usp=sharing
Batch Create Script Code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13OeFdl7em8IkXsti45ZK9hqDGE420wE9/view?usp=sharing

(ExcelBatchUpsertV7 is the core piece, ExcelBatchUpsertV7b includes a Do until loop set-up if you plan on updating and/or creating more than 1000 rows on large tables.)

Solution Zip Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xigjHRX7Uvp88KW3lzPRWrodTSWHWMf3/view?usp=sharing

V7 Legacy Power Automate Import: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bEzN6itOFYPKGHkN2AmGX9h_72EwqdeZ/view?usp=sharing

V7b Legacy Power Automate Import: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LeAbh8QANU1dXSmftQgwPaDsLdfo4SZK/view?usp=sharing

Categories:

Comments

• CU19090718-0 Profile Picture CU19090718-0
    Posted at

Try to lessen formattings on your file to reduce file size. Complex formulas also increases the file size. You may also split the files and link them to come up with smaller file size.

Otherwise you will need a faster computer or clean-up your existing one.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Batch-Update-Create-and-Upsert-SharePoint-Lists/td-p/1365410 https://activators4windows.com/2020/12/14/microsoft-office-2007-product-key/

• CU11090651-0 Profile Picture CU11090651-0
    Posted at
    Hello!

If my cell value is more than 16 digits, the flow is able to capture the full number but when it is appended into destination file, then it displays a e+ and cuts off the numbers at the back. Any fix for this? 

Thank you so much for the flow!

Best Regards,
    Jeslyn
  • takolota1 Profile Picture takolota1 4,617
    Posted at
    Hello Keith,

Sorry it seems I don't get notifications for posts on the new community site anymore.

To help with your question do you know if the SharePoint empty number fields are returning null or blanks ""?
    If you are using version 7 then they should need blanks "" to empty out the excel cells. If they are returning null them you may want to include an expression like if(empty(NumberFieldSP), '', NumberFieldSP) so if it is returning null it will convert the null to a blank "".
  • keithmlee19 Profile Picture keithmlee19
    Posted at

I'm using a SharePoint list as the source. I manually updated some number fields to be empty. When I run the flow, the corresponding Excel cells retain the old value. Is there some way to update those cells to be empty? I'd rather have them be empty than 0 but I can change them to 0 if necessary. Thanks!

• keithmlee19 Profile Picture keithmlee19
    Posted at

I'm using a SharePoint list as the source and manually edited some number fields in the SP list to be empty. When I run the flow, the old values are still showing up in the corresponding cells of the Excel sheet. Is there a way to fix this, or do I need to manually update those list values to be 0 instead? Due to some other stuff I have to do with the Excel sheet later I'd rather have them be empty than 0. Thanks!

• Sotgar Profile Picture Sotgar
    Posted at

Hi @takolota, I've been using your BatchCreate script for a while now and it's working great, so thank you very much!

I have a new challenge. I have been tasked to also take over the formatting. So for example if ID '1234' of my input file has been given a yellow color in one or more cells in that row, when BatchCreate adds the row to another Excel file, the same cells have to be given the yellow color.

Is that possible?

Posted at

@chefo1993 
    I see “DummyReferenceDoNotUse” in there.

I suspect on the Run Script action you did not toggle the CreateData to the array input before inserting your dynamic content for your JSON array.

BatchExcel13.png

• chefo1993 Profile Picture chefo1993 12
    Posted at

Hi @takolota ,

chefo1993_0-1716452933401.png

This is what the table looks like.

I created a new table:

chefo1993_0-1716454058861.png

And tried with a simple array of data, I also put a console.log in the script to see what the CreateDate looks like and this is what it outputs in the end. Still it just adds a new empty row.

chefo1993_1-1716454132963.png

Could it be that the script couldn't parse the data because of the blank spaces in the string?

Best regards

Posted at

@chefo1993 What does your Excel table look like? Especially the headers

Posted at

@Sridhar_K 

I believe you are looking for the SharePoint batch upsert thread

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Batch-Update-Create-and-Upsert-SharePoint-Lists/td-p/1365410

Feel free to post over there & please include screenshots of what you are doing in your GenerateSPData action that may lead to a wrong value, especially in the __metadata input.