Skip to main content

Notifications

Power Platform Community / Forums / Building Power Apps / Power App DataCards Co...
Building Power Apps
Answered

Power App DataCards Combo Box or Drop Down

Posted on by 19
Hi All...newbie here.  I have a Power App, with data source as an SP List, where the P-app gallery shows a selected list row's items and the corresponding form also shows the selected list row's items via corresponding DataCards using "Parent.Default".

I'd like a few of the form's Data Cards to continue to show the SP List row's field when it is selected in the gallery, but I also want users to be able to have a "drop down" selector for that field that presents the set of items already populated in that field for all gallery row entries (e.g., drop-down with; item a, item b, item c, etc.), so they can pick a pre-loaded option entry OR enter a new entry, that would get saved back as an addition drop down list item for the updated drop down list.

I've looked at the Combo Box and Drop Down functions, but they seem to work independent of existing DataCards.  Any guidance on how to pursue this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Verified answer
    ksdst1 Profile Picture
    ksdst1 19 on at
    Tnx all for the comments.  I was missing a lot.  First I changed the SP list column type to Choice.  That presented the data in the combo box drop down.  To get the current field name of the currently selected record, I set DefaultSelectedItems = fx {Value:GalleryName.Selected.FieldName.
  • Suggested answer
    markperrah Profile Picture
    markperrah 24 on at
    ComboBox allows for user entry.

for the defaultselecteditems:
    First(Distinct(mySample, Name))

this will default display the first item in the source (mySample)
  • ksdst1 Profile Picture
    ksdst1 19 on at
    Tnx for the response. 

More specifically, when using either a drop down or combo box in my form to show a Distinct list of field items from a SharePoint list's records, by having the Items =fx Distinct (ListName, RecordColumnName) I get my selectable list of items.

However, I would like this same control (either drop-down or combobox) to initially present as default before the user's form interaction, the field entry for the corresponding record field from the selected canvas record when a user scrolls through the different records in the gallery. 
    Blank default field with no default information:  

Currently the other gallery non-dropdown\combobox form DataCards present this with the formula Default=fx Parent.Default. 

Is this possible to show a default field value with the dropdown\combobox controls using some thing like; Items = fx formula and DefaultSelectedItems?  Or is there another recommended approach?  

Also, I'd like the user to have the option to manually enter a new field entry if their choose is not already in the dropdown list.  Sadly, I have not come across mention of this part.

Thanks! 

• Suggested answer
    FLMike Profile Picture
    FLMike 23,361 on at
    Hi

To be clear all controls (pretty much) can be added to a Form and aka data card if you Unlock it.

So feel free to replace text fields with Combo or dropdowns if you want.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Welcome to the Power Platform…

We are thrilled to unveil the newly-launched Power Platform Communities!…

Community Update Sept 16…

Power Platform Community Update…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 140,745

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,355

Leaderboard