Skip to main content

Notifications

Visualize data with Power BI
Unanswered

Power BI Tile in a canvas app now obsolete? "Power BI Content Management has reached retirement"

Posted on by 7
Hello, 

We have hit a severe problem with a new inability to share Power BI reports across environments. In our case we have been using the power BI tile in canvas apps to do this. 

Has anyone else encountered or possibly overcome this issue? 
My description below is long but only to show our problem, and hopefully help others avoid the same frustrations. Any advice would be welcome! 
--- 

We have built a solution which contains a canvas app, many Dataverse tables, and until very recently three Power BI reports, as well as their respective datasets, and an environmental variable. 

We used Power BI tiles inside the canvas app to show the BI reports, which were very simple to configure for a new environment. When the managed solution would be imported to a new environment, the user would be automatically prompted to select which environment they wish to use for the BI reports, to which the environmental variable is set. Then they would follow some simple instructions, which we give them, to get the URL of the report and place it in the canvas app's OnStart, which then means that the reports will show their data inside the canvas app. 

This all worked very easily. 

Last week however, we received the following message when exporting the latest version of our managed solution: 

Since there was no other option, I removed everything they mentioned and replaced them with Power BI embedded system dashboard.  I was prompted to set up new environmental variables for each report / Power BI embedded system dashboard.  The variables were noticeably different to the ones I had used previously which now specified the particular report, which they didn't do before. 

This got me as far as being able to export the solution, but then I hit another problem when importing it into an new environment:

I had no idea, nor could I find anything available online about what fill in for these JSON fields (which are the environmental variables. 

The following day I managed to speak with a couple of people in Microsoft would weren't experts in this particular space but I think advised me that the environmental variables should work if I just leave them as is. 

when I asked how it would work in practice, given that the canvas app requires a URL for the report (which is no longer accessible in these embedded BI dashboards), they told me that this was not their area of expertise and couldn't assist me any further. 

I filled out another support form, and was put through to someone from Model-driven apps, who told me this was not their area of expertise and would pass me to the canvass apps team. Several days pass, and I receive an email from someone in the canvas apps team. I explain the problem again, and again, they tell me this is outside their area of expertise and they will let me know when they come up with an answer. 

Pressed further:

I have been trying for close to two weeks to find any viable solution to this and am met with a mixture of confusion and silence from Microsoft's side. It's incredibly frustrating and causing a sever problem for us.  

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Craig 

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 142,008

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,531

Leaderboard

Featured topics