Skip to main content

Notifications

Power Platform Community / Forums / Microsoft Dataverse / Power BI Dataverse con...
Microsoft Dataverse
Answered

Power BI Dataverse connection, not all tables present. How to solve this?

Posted on by

Hi, 

Can someone help me with this issue? 

In Power BI I connect to the same Dynamics 365 environment by using 'Common Data Service (Legacy)' connection. One of the tables I need to use is 'SlaKpiInstance' which you see in the screenshot, it is present.  

Common Data Service connection: (table SlaKpiInstance is present)

EmilevLier_4-1631094694829.png

When I connect to the same Dynamics environment by using the Dataverse connection, the table SLAKPIInstance is missing.

Dataverse connection (table SlaKpiInstance is missing) :

EmilevLier_5-1631094922055.png

Question is, why the table is not present anymore when I use the Dataverse connection? What steps needs to be taken so that I can use this table with a Dataverse connection? 

I also made a small test by connecting the the Dynamics Environment by SQL connection in Microsoft SQL Service Studio. 
Also, the table is missing here. It's not present in the list of tablenames. 

When I perform a select statement on the missing table, the following error message pops up: 

SELECT * FROM [dbo].[slakpiinstance]

Msg 40000, Level 16, State 1, Line 5

Table slakpiinstance is not available for reports. Line:2, Position:8

RequestId: TDS;48cd4508-2cc3-4522-839d-1633cf1c798e;6

Time: 2021-09-07T15:06:15.9825661Z

So, apparantly the table is not available for reports? 

Is this something that can be configured somewhere? 

Can anyone help me out here so that I can use the missing table by a Dataverse connection in Power BI? 

I appreciate your help, 

thanks! 

Question is, what needs to be done? 

So with Common Data Service connection, I can use the table in reports. But by using Dataverse, this same table is missing and I am not able to use it in reports. How is this possible? What needs to be done to solve this? 

Categories:
  • JPGarcia Profile Picture
    JPGarcia 13 on at
    Re: Power BI Dataverse connection, not all tables present. How to solve this?

Mine's not in admin mode. But I still have this issue. So frustrating.

• Re: Power BI Dataverse connection, not all tables present. How to solve this?

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 9.51.29 am.png

Hi JPGarcia

Yes, my environment was in administration mode which was disabling direct refresh to dataverse db, once turned back all fixed.

• JPGarcia Profile Picture
    JPGarcia 13 on at

I'm having the same problem. Are you able to fix yours?

Hello,

I know it's been two years since this issue was raised, but I am experiencing the same problem now.

I used to be able to create tables and use them from Power BI without any issues, but now I am facing the same problem as reported in the forum post (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Import-Dataverse-table-not-showing-legacy-mode-they-do/m-p/3143960).

Even though I have been using Dataverse connector I cannot get the freshly created table.
    o bizarre
    some of my tables are not displayed or take days to show up.
    Additionally, when I create new tables using the same process, they are not displayed once created.
    BUT in CDS Legacy mode their are here.
    I would appreciate any help or suggestions you could provide to resolve this issue.

Giving that I already worked on report / apps where I just created new table on Power app, then include on my Power Bi report, everything was displayed and in working, after two weeks I experience this I cannot link what is going on

Thank you,

• Verified answer
    Prakash4691 Profile Picture
    Prakash4691 1,332 on at

@Anonymous 

Use dataflow, to sync data of slakpiinstances from dynamics 365 or web using webapi to dataverse table.

Use dataverse table using direct query for your report.

To replicate data from dataverse to SQL, already a seperate thread is going on, I have provided my solution and views on that. Included thread link below,

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Dataverse/How-best-to-export-data-from-the-Dataverse-to-an-Azure-SQL/m-p/1262808#M13949

If it answers your question, kindly give kudo and accept as solution.

Regards,

Prakash

Thanks for your response, 

So to summarize: 

- Not all entities available in Dynamics 365 are present when using a Dataverse connection.
       For example: entitiy SlaKpiInstance

- It's not possible to configure this table in order to make this data available in the Dataverse connection. 😞 

So, if you want to create a real-time report with data from Dynamics, a Dataverse connection is not possible. 
    Correct? 

If that's the case, then what is the best way to create a real-time report with data from Dynamics 365? 

Options I see: 

1) Create a new entitiy in Dynamics, and sync data from SlaKpiInstance to this new entity. With the Dataverse connection, connect to this new entity to get the data. 

2) Sync data to a SQL Database, by using Data Export Service 

Do you see any other options that are worth to try? 

If Dataverse cannot be used in this case, the following options come to my mind. 

1) - Sync data from the SlaKpiInstance entity to a new entity in Dynamics 365. With Dataverse, connect to this new entity. 

or

- Use Data Export Service to sync data to a replicated database (Azure SQL Database). From Power BI, connect to this SQL database. 

• Prakash4691 Profile Picture
    Prakash4691 1,332 on at

@Anonymous 

Tried with Dynamics 365 environments and web as well. Unfortunately, there is no option for direct query.

Regards,

Prakash

Common Data Service (Legacy) is not an option unfortunately, because it does not support DirectQuery. ( so this means it cannot be used for real-time reports ). 

So I hope there is another option available? 

• Prakash4691 Profile Picture
    Prakash4691 1,332 on at

@Anonymous 

The only option you can try is, 'Common Data Service (Legacy)' datasource.

Regards,

Prakash

Thanks for your response. 

I need to create a real-time report with information from the SlaKpiInstance entity. I thought the Dataverse connection would be a good approach to create this real-time report, but if Dataverse does not support all entities (at least SlaKpiInstance is not supported, as you mentioned), then Dataverse is not an option for creating this real-time report in Power BI.

What would be the best alternative instead of using the Dataverse connection to create this real-time report with data from the SlaKpiInstance entity included? 

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

September 2024 Newsletter…

September 2024 Community Newsletter…

Community Update Sept 16…

Power Platform Community Update…

Tuesday Tip #2 Global Search…

Welcome to a brand new series, Tuesday Tips…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 142,008

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,531

Leaderboard

Featured topics