Skip to main content

Notifications

Power Platform Community / Forums / Microsoft Dataverse / Create M:1 relationshi...
Microsoft Dataverse
Suggested answer

Create M:1 relationship to ConnectionRole table from custom table

Posted on by 6
Hey, 

I need to have additional Information per (standard table) ConnectionRole. Creating relationships to the ConnectionRole table are disabled by default.
Therefore: Is there any possibility (via API, XRMToolbox, etc.) to create a M:1 relationship from a custom table to the ConnectionRole table? 

I did a workaround by using the ConnectionRole GUIDs as text in the related custom table. I'm able to do custom JOINs via FetchXML with that workaround. But as I need the additional data in Customer Insight Segments, I'm forced to establish a "real" relationship.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance

UPDATE to clarify:
I don't need to establish (standard) connections to the custom table. Instead I want to enrich specific ConnectionRoles with additional attributes. 
Therefore I'm in need of having a custom table with a foreign key (M:1 relationship) to a specific ConnectionRole.
Custom table be like:
ConnectionRole [FK] additional attribute [multi-select global option set] additional attribute [Boolean]
Guest [guest, member] True

• SJ-11090959-0 Profile Picture
    SJ-11090959-0 6 on at
    Thanks for the replies so far.

To clarify: 
    I don't need to establish connections to this custom table. I know how connections in general work and that you have to enable them for connections.
    I need a M:1 relationship from a custom table to the "ConnectionRole" Table. Because I need additional information per "ConnectionRole" with extra attributes. 
    E.g.: Having a custom table called "ConnectionRole Settings" with a ForeignKey to the linked "ConnectionRole"

ConnectionRole [FK] ... some extra attributes per linked ConnectionRole ...

• Suggested answer
    MichaelFP Profile Picture
    MichaelFP 1,063 on at
    You will need to recreate the table to have that. Because you can only link with connection during the creation of tables

• Suggested answer
    Ammar Zaied Profile Picture
    Ammar Zaied 72 on at

Unfortunately, the ConnectionRole table in Dataverse has limitations that prevent direct customization or the creation of relationships. However, there are a few approaches you can explore to create the "real" relationship you need:

1. Use an Intermediary Custom Table

2. Create a Custom Plugin (or Power Automate Flow)

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Welcome to the Power Platform…

We are thrilled to unveil the newly-launched Power Platform Communities!…

Community Update Sept 16…

Power Platform Community Update…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 140,719

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,355

Leaderboard

Featured topics