Skip to main content

Notifications

Power Apps Governance and Administering
Answered

Microsoft 365 Business Standard and Power Apps licensing confusion.

Posted on by 49

Hello all,

I've just finished my first (and hopefully not the last) power app. I'm looking at how best to use ensure that users in our business can now use this application without having to purchase additional licensing for it and the other ones I have planned on creating to help automate things. 

If I consult the PA licensing guide it states "Limited Use Rights Included with Qualifying License":

WABGOR_Dave_0-1634306038908.png

What I can't find is, what is included in these limited rights. I assume that means no Premium connectors, which is OK and I can work around this. My first Power App does use an SQL connector and my beta tester employees are using the Power Apps trial to access the data. I can move the data for this app to a source that shouldn't need a premium connector. If I do move the data, will all my users (M365 Basic/Standard/E3) be OK to use the app without added licensing?

We also have the following licenses (some are only 1 of or department specific 5-10 uses), and I'd like to know what Power Apps would they be allowed to run without the need for additional licensing (except for D365 Pro as I know they get 1 App but that will be for CRM):

WABGOR_Dave_3-1634307395436.png

• JDucharme Profile Picture
    JDucharme 58 on at
    Re: Microsoft 365 Business Standard and Power Apps licensing confusion.

Thank you.

• BCLS776 Profile Picture
    BCLS776 8,997 on at

With a bit of searching on here, you'll start to find posts specific to Dataverse for Teams. It is a very light version of Dataverse that is set up for use with an app integrated into Teams. Start here. It doesn't have all the features of regular Dataverse, so it'll take some analysis to decide if it has enough to support your desired functionality.

Bryan

JDucharme 58 on at

Thanks. So where do I find the Dataverse for Teams and can I convert the app that I built to it?

BCLS776 8,997 on at

Yes, searching and asking questions on here is vital. When it comes to licencing, it is ever-evolving, so look for the most current info you can find. Posts from a year or two ago may differ from the current setup

JDucharme 58 on at

Thanks for the reply. It's all so confusing. We can use Dataverse to build an app, but can't deploy it without paying big bucks. And there doesn't seem to be a way to find out how everything works except ask questions here.

BCLS776 8,997 on at

@JDucharme wrote:

Reviving this thread. Is the Dataverse connector considered premium? I have the crm model driven app built on Dataverse. Our non-profit has Business basic for most and Business premium for 10 higher up employees.

There are two flavors of Dataverse right now:

• "Dataverse for Teams" works with Power Apps integrated with Teams and is included in Business level M365 licences
    • "Dataverse" is premium otherwise, so apps built to connect to it will require premium licencing. Your model-driven app almost certainly fits into this category

Hope that helps,

Bryan

JDucharme 58 on at

Reviving this thread. Is the Dataverse connector considered premium? I have the crm model driven app built on Dataverse. Our non-profit has Business basic for most and Business premium for 10 higher up employees.

• Verified answer
    BCLS776 Profile Picture
    BCLS776 8,997 on at

If you are using non-premium connectors, your business users will be fine with M365 Business Basic. I set up solutions like that for small businesses using canvas apps and Sharepoint Lists all the time. As soon as you add in premium connectors, you will need licences that include a Power Apps per user or per app plan.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

September 2024 Newsletter…

September 2024 Community Newsletter…

Community Update Sept 16…

Power Platform Community Update…

Welcome to the new Power Platform Community!…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

WarrenBelz Profile Picture

WarrenBelz 141,122

RandyHayes Profile Picture

RandyHayes 76,308

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 63,414

Leaderboard

Featured topics