Skip to main content

Notifications

Topic Creation & Management
Unanswered

Passing values from Power Automate to Bot Variables

Posted on by

Hi all,

I have some bot variables that I want to set to null at the start of a topic, then later on in the topic I will ask the customer if they want to populate that information. If they don't I want to pass the previously stored null value to a Power Automate cloud flow.  If they answer the question, then that value gets stored.

My problem is that I can't get power automate to set the null values to the bot variables, and so it will reroute back to the topic where bot variables are stored and ask for that information again.

Thanks.

• sahana_23 Profile Picture
    sahana_23 8 on at
    Re: Passing values from Power Automate to Bot Variables
    1. Check the code for your bot variables to make sure that they are being properly set to null at the beginning of the topic. It's possible that there is an error in your code that is preventing the variables from being set correctly.

2. Make sure that your Power Automate cloud flow is able to handle null values for the variables you're passing to it. If the flow is expecting a non-null value and it receives null, it may fail or generate an error.

3. Consider using a different value to represent null in your bot variables, such as an empty string or a specific value like "NULL". This can help to differentiate between an intentionally empty value and a value that has not yet been set.

4. If you're still having trouble, consider using a debugging tool or logging system to help identify where the problem is occurring. This can help you to isolate the issue and find a solution more quickly.

• JonDoesFlow Profile Picture
    JonDoesFlow on at

Wow. Ok. Are there any work arounds?

• renatoromao Profile Picture
    renatoromao 6,459 on at

@Jondoesflow ,

Got it!

Unfortunately, there are many ideas from the Microsoft community that are not available yet. You can vote in all of them and we will keep you posted.

-> Allow Flow response messages to overwrite their ow... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

-> Change the value of a variable without a question - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

• JonDoesFlow Profile Picture
    JonDoesFlow on at

Hi,

It's not even the fact I want to send a null.

It could be anything, I just want the ability the update a variable from a Power Automate flow (the value could be n/a or false) and then save that variable value to the bot variable, unless it gets updated by the user inside the conversational flow.

• renatoromao Profile Picture
    renatoromao 6,459 on at

Hi @Jondoesflow ,

It's not available yet.

You can vote on this idea here: Allow PVA to send 'NULL' values to Power Automate - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Exciting News for Copilot Studio Communi…

Get ready to experience a whole new level of engagement with the Copilot Studio…

Celebrating the May Super User of the…

LaurensM is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community…

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

renatoromao Profile Picture

renatoromao 6,459

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 1,997

Expiscornovus Profile Picture

Expiscornovus 1,708

Leaderboard

Featured topics